Friday, June 3, 2011

The New and Improved Me


Last week my husband and I celebrated a momentous occasion. We left our daughter for the first time and spent a very much-needed couple of days alone together in Las Vegas. It was a very eye-opening trip for me personally. First off, let me start by saying back in the day (pre-mommy) I had a bit of a wild streak. I could party until the wee hours with the best of them much like an energizer bunny. So when we planned this little trip 5 months ago it’s been all I have been thinking about. I just wanted to relax, be my old self, and let loose a little.

After I said my tearful goodbyes to my daughter we headed off and soon I found myself parked in my favorite spot, the casino with a fun cocktail in hand. I was having a good time but I kept noticing something had changed and I couldn’t put my finger on it. After we had a fun dinner we went back to the casino to gamble a little and after while I just felt exhausted. I looked at my phone expecting it to be around 1:00am or so and realized it was only 10:30. There was no denying it I was ready to go to bed. That’s weird I thought that’s not like me.

The next day came and I slept in which was wonderful and after that we headed to the pool. (Side note: people really don’t care what they look like in swimming suits out there) The sun felt amazing but after a while we deiced to go in and get ready for our evening ahead of us. We had made reservations at our favorite restaurant, TAO at the Venetian. The dinner was out of this world delish but after dinner I was ready to change out of my amazing new shoes and into some more comfortable clothes. After the change in clothes we decided to go back down to the casino because after all it was only 7:30 and seemed a bit early even for home to crawl in bed. We played a little blackjack but soon I noticed I just wasn’t all that into it. What was going on? This is my favorite place! Suffice it say I was in bed by 11:00 all relaxed and watched my favorite show on TV (Bones). This was not like any Vegas trip I have ever had and there had been a lot of them.

On the drive back to see our daughter I kept going over in my head how different things seemed this time and I realized something major. Vegas wasn’t different I was. I am not saying I don’t like to have a good time because believe me I do. I just realized my idea of fun has changed since I had Chloe. I am much more mellow, and what sounds fun to me for our next getaway is something by a beach, lounging, reading, and just relaxing. After all Vegas vacations aren’t exactly a relaxing time at least not the way I use to do them.

So with this epiphany I realized that being a Mom has changed me in more ways that I realized and what is most crazy is I am happy about it. I love that my days consist of toys, hugs, new words, and stolen moments with my IPad during nap time. This is me now, the new me. You would of thought actually having my daughter would have woken me up to the changes but it was a vacation that did it. I am glad I went but for our next trip can you say HAWAII (instead of Vegas Baby). Now that would be a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment